Wednesday, August 15, 2012

fig, ricotta and honey toast

food for fig fanatics.


I had never even tried a fresh fig until this summer.  As a child I would obliviously eat Fig Newtons without the slightest clue as to what that funny brown stuff in the middle was.  I ate too many at one point in time, got bored of them and haven't had one since.  BUT I started thinking about fresh figs at the very start of summer.  I didn't even know they were a summer fruit and when I could expect to find them.  I just had an extreme and mysterious curiosity, urge, CRAVING!  Figs were the forbidden fruit! ...until late July that is, then BAM! ffffiiiigggsssss, finally in season. Yum.  An immediate fruit favourite for me and I just cannot stop gobbling them up.

So I had some and wanted to do something extraordinary and came across this recipe idea.

fig, ricotta and honey toast:
- rye bread, toasted (or just something that gets crunchy like ciabatta would be yummy as well)
- ricotta
- salt and pepper to taste (a little saltier is great to compliment the sweetness)
- fresh thyme
- figs, sliced
- honey, drizzled 

*use quantities of each ingredient to your own desire!

Toast bread.  Spread ricotta generously.  Add salt and pepper on top of the cheese.  Sprinkle some fresh thyme leaves.  Cut figs into halves or thick slices.  Drizzle with honey and sprinkle a pinch more salt on top if you please. ENJOY!

a healthful hint:
Figs are a fibre-filled fruit, great for maintaining regular bowel function and clean colons!  They are also richer in iron than many fruits which is important for oxygen transport in the blood. In addition to iron, figs by weight have more potassium than bananas and more calcium than a glass of milk!  SO paired with the light ricotta cheese (which keeps this combination low in fat and calories) you have a beautiful bone strengthening meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment